Today we go back in history to the early 1800s.
I live on Moull Street in Newark, Oh. In conversation with a friend, she advised me that she used to live at 300 Moull St. The house dates from the early 1800s and was once known as “Moull Farms.”
The farm house was built by George W. Moull and his wife Elizabeth. It had a door in the middle of the front and two windows at each side, and a kitchen wing to the west. There was a porch along the street side of that wing. The house sat in what is now the middle of Moull St. facing east and had a fence around it. When Moull St was opened up the house was moved to the north side of the street and became number 300. The Moull’s came from Virginia looking for better farm land. They first settled in Licking County in 1830. They owned a general store which offered a wide variety of merchandise, including a horse and buggy for hire.
Moull held the office of City Trustee from 1836 to 1843. Elizabeth died at the age of 15 in 1838 and was buried in the old graveyard located at West Main and Sixth Streets. At the time they had two children: Angeline, born in 1834 and Orlando, born in 1838.
George Moull continued to increase the size of his farm. On March 26th, 1849 he purchased 100 acres of land from the Fleek family. The land had one house and an orchard. In 1850 Moull purchased lots 21 and 22 from Moore’s Addition. It consisted of 3.6 acres each with Log Pond Run crossing through both.
In 1858-1859 the Newark City Directory lists G. W. Moull as being a sign and ornamental painter.
Moull’s household consisted of his new wife Frances, his son Orlando, 21 and his daughter Mary C, 18. His son, George A. Moull, had died two years before on April 14th, 1858 at the age of 13yrs and was buried at Cedar Hill Cemetery. George W. Moull died in 1862 at the age of 53 and was also buried at Cedar Hill Cemetery. Mary C. Moull at the age of 21 inherited 41.70 acres at the death of her father. She and her mother, Frances, continued to live there. Frances died December 5th, 1878 at the age of 72. She was buried next to her husband in Cedar Hill Cemetery.
Mary remained on the homestead until about 1900. She then built a cottage for her use on the west side of what is now N 12th st, just North of Moull St.
Orlando married Mary Jones, they had four children: A. Willard, born 1861: Alice (Allie) G., born 1867: Frank, born 1969: and Fredrick, born 1873. Frank died at the age of 11 and Mary died in 1874.
Willard married Hazel Rogers and moved to Pittsburgh. They had three children: William, Orlando and Lillian. Allie G. Moull married Rev. David A. Green and lived in the cottage that had been willed to her by her aunt, Mary C. Moull. Fredrick never married.
Orlando Moull died in 1917 at the age of 79. His will left half of his land, which included all farm buildings, to Fredrick. The other half was left to Willard’s children along with 112ft. of frontage on Moull’s Lane.
MOULL’S GROVE, MOULL STREET AND VACINITY 1905-1918
Some young ladies ask Mrs. Moull if they could pick flowers and she told them as long as they kept the gate shut and didn’t bother the cows, it would be fine.
Children waded in the run and sat on a bank or the edge of the little wooden bridge and watch the birds. Dr. Clyde Adams home sat on the corner of Jefferson Rd. and 12th St; he would often trap muskrats in the run. Sometimes they children would go to the Moull farm for milk, the milk was collected in a tin pail with a lid. Sometimes they would get cottage cheese. Miss Allie would put the cheese in first and then ladled pure cream over the top.
We spent a lot of time on the front porches of their homes. Almost every house had a front porch. People walking by said hello, and often stopped for a visit.
To read more on this article stop by the Licking County Genealogical Society and look at the Moull family history or contact the Licking County Historical Society.
This information was obtained for the Moull family history files at the Licking County Genealogical Society, 101 West Main St. Newark Oh 43055.
Submitted by Raynola St.Clair